[Sussex] Missing ethernet interface under Debian

Jon Fautley jon at 3ait.co.uk
Fri Apr 11 12:30:01 UTC 2003

> For reasons that are probably best left unexplained, I'm trying to
> replace the ethernet card on a Debian installation with one of a
> different type.
>
> However, for the life of me, I cannot find the 'alias' line that is
> setting up the current driver. I've looked in /etc/modutils,
> /etc/modules.conf (it shouldn't be in there, but...), I've even done a
> grep of the entire /etc hierarchy to no avail.

It's not in /etc/modules is it? I'm guessing not as you grepped /etc.
Silly question, but what's the uptime of the box? It wasn't loaded by hand
was it?

If you can't find it it shouldn't be that much of a problem, if the module
can't find a device, it'll just carry on as normal. You could run
'modconf' and check that? Also, add teh driver for the new card, so even
if the 8139 mod is loaded, it won't matter.

Failing that, go and buy a RTL8139 to replace it with ;)

Jon
--
3aIT - Open Source Answers
http://www.3ait.co.uk/