[Sussex] scanners

john davis big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Apr 13 16:45:01 UTC 2003

Afternoon list,

this will probably sound like a very stupid question, but does anyone know how
I get my stupid japanese b*****d piece of s**t scanner working (yes you've
probably guessed it - vvvvv stressed with it!)

To start, it's an epson perfection 1260 photo. According to Jonathon Buzzards
site about usb scanners, it has direct support from epson @
http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/linux_e/linux.html

So ok, I check that out, and it says that I have to d/ld an app called "iscan"
- done - then it says that I need to edit a file called
"/etc/sane.d/epson.conf" - done - it now says it should find the scanner at
/dev/usb/scanner0 - but no, it can't! whenever I try "$iscan" it tells me it
can't send anything to the scanner.

Sooooooooo, I go back to http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/linux_e/linux.html
and find that under mandrake 9.0 if it can't see the scanner or auto detect,
then I need to add it manually with #mknot /dev/usb/scanner0 c 180 48 and
#chmod 0666 /dev/usb/scanner0 - done

so when I try $iscan I just get "command not found" and when I try $xsane, I
get the licence agreement and an error box that says xsane: no devices
available. Now, if I try the $sane-find-scanner I get this

$ sane-find-scanner

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
that
  # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x011d) at libusb:001:002
  # A USB device was detected. This program can't be sure if it's really
  # a scanner. If it is your scanner, it may or may not be supported by

  # Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports can't
be
  # detected by this program.

  # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
  # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
  # necessary.

which means absolutely nothing too me - I cant find the "lib:001:002

Soooooo, any advice as to how I get the b*****d thing going would be much
appreciated (before I beat it to death with a hammer - won't help much, but
it'll make me feel a hell of a lot better!)

regards

The unfeasibly stressed John D!
--
I wonder what they had on the sweet trolley, the night the Titanic went down?