[Sussex] thanks and questions

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Fri Apr 25 12:01:06 UTC 2003

John davis wrote:
-----------------
> Just a quick one to say thanks to all of you who made me feel
> welcome at the
> "moot" last night. Very pleasing to finally put some faces to
> the names.

Glad to see you there John.

> Also further to Steve's quest for some more basic input to
> the list from
> "lurkers",
>
> Swap Memory.
<snip>

OK, well, for a start - yes the Mandrake install should have setup swap
itself.  However, it may have just made it's own swap partition rather than
using the one you defined, although I doubt this, most installation routines
are fairly clever about that sort of thing these days.

Anyhow, to answer your questions:

1. Linux doesn't _need_ swap, but it's good to have.  With 768MB of physical
ram you may find that Linux never uses its swap space.  Even so, I would
suggest that you have at least a few hundred MB of swap set up, just incase.

2. If you suspect that you don't have your swap space in use then doing the
following will bring it online:

su -
swapon /dev/hda3

... remebering to replace /dev/hda3 with the device name of the partition in
question.

3. A good way of telling if your using much swap space is to run a
monitoring tool.  `top` is the classic commandline tool for this sort of
thing, but to make your life less confusing I'd suggest hunting down the
graphical app grekllm.

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having
 to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
               [Douglas Adams' take on religion]

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company