[Sussex] thanks and questions

john davis big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Apr 26 17:01:01 UTC 2003

Steve,

I got as far as the
<snip>
> fdisk /dev/hda   <- Run the command
>    p                  <- Print the partition table
>    q                  <- Quit fdisk
<snip>

which gave me

/dev/hda1   *         1      5663  45488016    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2          5664     14589  71698095   83  Linux

So I thought in the short term, I'd go for option 1 and

<snip>
>   1). Live without swap - given the 750MB of memory your system has
>       this is a possiblity as long as you aren't running any big
>       applications or lots of little ones.
</snip>

as I am currently waiting for the mandy 9.1 powerpack dvd that I have ordered
and then install that over the top of the 9.0 install (the prevailing advice
at mandrakeusers.org being install is less stress and preferable to upgrade -
well for nugget's like me anyway)

With that decided, I am presuming that when the dvd arrives, I should kick the
system into partition magic 8 and chop a little bit off one of the partitions
and format it as "linux swap" (with 768mb of physical ram, I thought a "gig"
would be a nice round number) and then carry out the 9.1 install, does this
seem like a sensible move?

regards

John D:?
--
At the end of the day, where ever you go, there you are :-?