[Sussex] SPAM

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Mon Apr 28 10:39:00 UTC 2003

Gareth wrote:
-------------
> Actual I have only had my current email address for a week or 2 and
> today for the first time I got 2 items of spam. This may be a
> result of
> the list holding public log of all emails.
>
> It may even be worth considering making them private.
>
> On the other hand the spam could just be down to normal spam stuff.

Gareth, the mails I have been getting generally coincide with the ones that
I have been discarding as admin requests.  I am fairly certain that this
stuff is coming as a result of the publication of e-mail addresses on the
list page, it is the only place where my e-mail addresses are (usually)
published freely.

I don't mind dealing with spam sent to the list, but I would rather list
members didn't also have to suffer spam as well.

As far as I see it, the arguments for making the archives private are:

* Help prevent spam.
* Allows a level of privacy for people to comment without feeling they will
be published.

The arguements against:

*It means non-members cannot easily see what happens on the list without
joining.
*Our words of wisdom cannot benefit people doing google searches (equally
you could say we weren't polluting  google results ;) ).
*The idea of that sort of privacy is anti to the hackers ideological
make-up.  RMS, GLS and ESR would not approve :)

Discuss!

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having
 to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
               [Douglas Adams' take on religion]

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company