[Sussex] SmoothWall 2 GPL and USB ADSL Modems

Steve Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 28 15:06:02 UTC 2003

Some assistance would be much appreciated. I have recently installed
Smoothwall 2 GPL on my firewall in anticiptation of being able to use it
with one of the listed ECI chipset USB ADSL modems, in this case a Zoom 5510
External USB modem. Unfortunately it was nothing like as trouble free as I
would expect, as most of my Smoothwall experiences so far have been.

During the boot process, the USB root hub and ports in the PC are detected
and the necessary usb core modules loaded. However, the following error
messages then occur:

USB Device not claimed by driver
Cannot access /etc/eciadsl/eciadsl.conf
Cannot find EZUSB Loader

I believe once the modem has been detected as a usb device, a firmware
loader should be called to download the firmware to the modem, but this is
not happening.

I have looked to other sources for info, but so far no joy.

Any help much appreciated.

Steve Williams.