[Sussex] Next time the Gentoo argument starts...

Geoff Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Sat Aug 2 14:00:00 UTC 2003

I think the key point is this - Gentoo _can_ be faster than  a generic
build under very specific circumstances.  To get that kind of
performance you need to really understand GCC and the impact its various
options have on your machine.  At the end of the day Linux is Linux.  A
lot of Gentoo advocates (myself included) have said a lot about how
great it is to have an optomised build and so on, but the most common
demand of new Gentoo users is a quick, easy, binary install base.
Gentoo 1.4 will make this option available.  So I'm inclined to conclude
that the people who like Gentoo because they can optomise and control
the structure of their machine from the ground up are actually rarer
than the people who a: want decent package management but find Debian
too behind the times and don't want to touch it's unstable branch; or b:
just want to use Gentoo  because it's probably the most fashionable
distro out there right now.  I think the later case is because there is
some kudos in being able to say you built the OS from the ground up, but
lets face it guys, unless your Linus, Ted or Alan or a member of the GCC
or glibc dev team you're just kidding yourselves :)

Increasingly the main reason I choose Gentoo over Debian is that it
allows me to use the _current_ release of software and libraries rather
than some earlier (but probably more reliable) version.  Especially
useful are develop e-builds that link directly into CVS for projects
such as Gnome and Enlightenment.  This allows developers (like me) to
develop new software, submit it throug CVS and then use emerge to build
this into our systems seemlessly.  This really helps with things like
Gnome 2.3 (the 2.4 development tree) where some developers are adding
new dependencies - when they do they simply add the dependcy to the
package and when I emerge it those dependencies get pulled in with the
code that requires them.

--
GJT
gteale at member.fsf.org