[Sussex] A Tale of Two Servers.....

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Fri Aug 15 12:24:01 UTC 2003

Nik,

Firstly, netcraft is interested in servers.

Non-MS platforms, deservedly, have 80+% of the server market (With my
security consultant hat on, I think that anyone who runs an Internet-facing
MS server is being foolish..)

However, the primary source of vulnerability is client PCs sitting in
people's houses which are all of a sudden using always-on connections, and
therefore vulnerable to port-scanning based attacks. This market is still,
sadly, dominated by Microsoft, not least because many of the broadband
providers will only "support" Windows... anything else and you're left to
community support. (This is, in many cases, better than ISP support, but
it's still an offputting factor.)

It's actually an ecological argument. Monoculture is vulnerable to
type-specific attacks, and viral attacks spread exponentially. This is just
as true of banana virus in the Caribbean in crop-space, as it is all-MS
networks in the IT-space. The best defence against pandemic spread is in
fact a strong MIX of different systems, so a vulnerability on one can't
ripple through to "adjacent" hosts quickly.

This IS a key benefit of Linux's diversity - there are so many different
types of Linux out there that there are relatively few places where
vulnerabilities could effect the whole Linux community... and the OpenSource
nature of Linux means that they come under far more scrutiny than the
Windows kernel.

However, for anyone who is smug in their assertion that OpenSource provides
a bastion against hacking:  www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/32355.html

Regards,

Mark