[Sussex] Openworld goes pingless ....

Iain Stevenson iain at iainstevenson.com
Sun Aug 24 18:04:00 UTC 2003

Last week was a bad week for my DSL connection.  It went slow, it went
completely .... then ping stopped working.

Why is this important?  Well, because of the previous unreliability of BT
Openworld I'd written a script for my (Linux) server that uses ping to see
that the Internet is reachable and, if it isn't, cycles the power supply to
the ADSL router - which often restores service.

I wearily phoned Openworld's technical support line ....

   "I think you've tampered with ping" said I.
   "Yes, we have" they said - "BECAUSE MICROSOFT TOLD US TO".   Grrrrrr.
   "So when are you going to restore it?"
   "We're not sure", they said.

Of course, they hadn't bothered to tell their customers (I'm on the
business service too) they'd changed the technical parameters of the
service.  Furthermore, why should everyone be affected because Microsoft
wants to help its own efforts to patch weaknesses in its own code (oh,
sorry, they probably sell this as defending the Internet against "the
worm").

A plague on both their shabby houses!

  Iain