[Sussex] Laptop for Linux?

nik at wired4life.org nik at wired4life.org
Mon Aug 25 14:53:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 02:02:04PM +0100, Mark Harrison wrote:
> 1: What do you recommend in terms of laptop vendors? Are some pro-Linux (in
> the sense of drivers available) and others well to steer clear of (Sony???)
Well we really really like the Dell inspiron range and have had loads of
success with that !

> 2: Which distribution?
Debian of course. Although yeah sometimes Mandrake and if we ever get it
to emerge Gentoo.

> 3: Which applications?
OpenOffice, Mozilla, xpdf , ghostscript etc.

> - Something that can read and edit Visio files.... (this is a big scarey
> must-have.) I do a lot of work with Visio, particularly on WAN diagrams, and
> have both a legacy data store of Visios, and a bunch of clients who need to
> interchange such info, and find that an excellent tool in which to do it.
> I've been using Visio since the early 1990s, when it was a Roderick
> Manhattan product, before Visio International came along, and WAY before
> Microsoft bought it :-)
Theres some great visio alikes but none that fit that bill. oh well
guess thats a bust. mind you xfig and other products work for us.

> - Good support for 802.11b
well thats a HW requirement so buy sitecoms and linksys

> What would be desirable, but not required, is the following:
>
> - Came with Linux pre-installed :-)
Buy it from us and we will preinstall for you !

--
nik at wired4life.org	http://www.wired4life.org/	Wired4Life, an Answer.

apt-get install zoe-ball
 To many unmet dependancies.