[Sussex] The woes of trying to install Debian woody.

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at krasnegar.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 30 10:27:03 UTC 2003

John

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 09:51:48AM +0100, John D. wrote:
> On Saturday 30 Aug 2003 7:26 am, Steve Dobson wrote:
> > -------- Cut here ------------------
> > deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
> > deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US/main non-US/contrib
> > non-US/non-free deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib
> > non-free -------- Cut here ----------
> >
> > Then type the following commands:
> > apt-get update
> > apt-get upgrade
> > apt-get install xserver-xfree86
>
> Well, probably due to my ignorance, at the moment, I have tried to use "wget",
> the prompt says wget command not found.

Both of these will get the packages, but then you have to manually install
them - apt will do it all for you (but only for the packaged stuff).

> So I have used dselect and as far as I can tell, It's installed but the bash
> response is still "wget command not found" - Drat!

Stop using dselect now.  If your are must use then select the "apt" package.

> Also, my stupidity factor means that I am struggling to modify my
> /etc/apt/sources
>
> Is it just "/etc/apt/sources" or is it "/etc/atp/sources.list"

It is "/etc/apt/sources.list".

The trick is to get that installed and working and then most other thinks
will just work for you.

> Oh and my "p.s." in my last post should have said "Lancing, with an adsl
> connection"! :)

That's not to far away.  If you want I don't mind poping over and helping
you set the system up.  There is a bit of black magic to X configuration.
Be warned, I'm trading my expertise for your bandwidth :-)

Vini, vidi, Linux!
	-- Unknown source