[Sussex] Getting brave ?, perhaps not.

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Mon Dec 1 09:18:52 UTC 2003

<snip>
> Should I follow the guide literally and do the fdisk stuff? Or would I be able
> to skip that and get into it further on ? i.e. as I want to put it onto
> /dev/hda4 (and yes, even though I was asking about partitions earlier last
> week, I'm just going to put it all onto one partition - until I know a hell
> of a lot more about it). My first little snag has been that during the
> earlier stages, I've got as far as mounting partitions, when I try to - mount
> /dev/hda4 /mnt/gentoo - I get "access denied", it will let me do the - mkdir
> /mnt/gentoo/boot - but again, I get the "access denied" reply when I try the
> - mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/gentoo/boot -
>
> Am I just being really thick ? or am I missing something?
<snip>

OK,  you shouldn't need to do the fdisk stuff because that has already
been done by partition magic.  What you do need to do though is
initialise your swap space and /dev/hda4 before you try and use either
of them.

Look through the section of the docs immediately following the fdisk
section and you'll find commands like:

mkswap

.. which initialises a swap partition, and:

mke2fs -j

... which initialises an ext3 partition.

If you don't do the latter on /dev/hda4 then you will be unable to mount
it.

- Geoff

--
GJT
gteale at cmedltd.com

Hubbard's Law:
	Don't take life too seriously; you won't get out of it alive.