[Sussex] Getting brave ?, perhaps not.

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Dec 2 16:19:34 UTC 2003

On Monday 01 Dec 2003 8:40 pm, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 18:28, John Crowhurst wrote:
<snip>
> > You could do:
> >
> > # mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/gentoo
> > # mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot
<snip>
> That could explain it, you'd be possibly unzipping into a recursive
> directory?
</snip>
>On Monday 01 Dec 2003 6.09 pm, Wells, Richard wrote:
>Sounds frustrating and that tar message is none too helpful.
>You could try explicitly specifying the filesystem when entering both
>mount commands, so:

>mount -t ext3 /dev/hda4 /mnt/gentoo
>mount -t ext3 /dev/hda4 /mnt/gentoo/boot

>It's possible that the tar extract issue is caused by problems with
>mount having incorrectly detected the filesystem.

Also John Crowhurst's (I think? - sorry got a little over excited with my
"delete" button) suggestion about doing tar -xvjpf
/mnt/cdrom/stages/stage3-pentium4-20030910.tar.bz2 | less

-----------------------------------

If I try the #mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/gentoo #mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot  suggestion,
I arrive at the same tar error after it tries to unpack the ./root/.ccache/

If I then vary it to try #mount -t ext3 /dev/had4 /mnt/gentoo #mkdir
/mnt/gentoo #mount -t ext3 /dev/hda4 /mnt/gentoo/boot or just the first two
commands and then follow the instructions to untar, again I am getting the
tar error at the same point

If I then try doing the untar but with .tar.bz2 | less for some reason my
keyboard won't let me use the | key (or the \ for that matter) so I can't
even attempt that.

Also, If I follow the parts of the instruction guide to see if I can get the
stage3 install remotely instead of from the cd, I can set up the networking
manually with the net-setup eth0 command, and it seems to let me start lynx
using the links2 command but it just drops me into a blank page that won't
take any input, so I have to exit that.

Does anyone have any idea what else I need to do please ?

regards

John