[Sussex] Data Diagraming?

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Wed Dec 3 10:04:18 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 09:46, Mark Harrison wrote:

> The only area where we've had problems is in the 10% of clients who use it
> properly - the full version of Visio has some really nice features - stuff
> like the ability to click on a router on a diagram, and get taken into a
> telnet session to manage that router...the high-end version of Visio will
> even wander out round the network and diagram it for you based on quite a
> sophisticated discovery process.

You _can_ do this with Dia.

There are a lot of code plug-ins for Dia out there, and if you take an
hour or so to learn python it can be customised to your hearts content.

This is exactly what has been done with Visio - you're just getting thew
work someone else did for free.

I used to work with a work-flow engine that used Visio to design the
work-flows it automated - I've considered how useful it would be to
develop a similar system around dia, but I've never got around to doing
it.

--
GJT
gteale at cmedltd.com

Order and simplification are the first steps toward mastery of a subject
-- the actual enemy is the unknown.
		-- Thomas Mann