[Sussex] OOo Scripting?

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Thu Dec 4 09:44:51 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 10:12, nik at wired4life.org wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 09:20:42AM +0000, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I'm wondering whether the following is possible:
> >
> > 1. Data is selected from MySQL Database
> > 2. Data is written to an XML file in the correct format for a .sxw
> > 3. XML file is zipped into an sxw file
> > 4. OOo converts the file to a .doc
> > 5. The .doc is displayed on the screen (All users are running
> > windows/office XP)
> yes, and we have done it.

cool! :D

> > The one I'm gonna have real issues with is step 4. I need to know if
> > it's possible to run OOo on a headless server (Linux flavour  as yet
> > unknown...), preferably without installing X, and have OOo convert the
> > .sxw to the .doc without actually displaying anything.
> >

> all call backs under OOo are java apis... so learn a little java and you
> can go far.
>

> step 5 is the hard part since you automating windows to accept inbound
> connections and diplay stuff is ... oh wait no , thats windows default
> setting isnt it ?
lol, it's gonna be presented in a webpage as a link to download anyways,
but you're right.

I tried to lock down the windows XP box I'm working on which asl doubles
as a print server for 1 other machine.  I disabled the Guest account
(Standard practice as far as I'm concerned) and the printer sharing
stopped working.

/me shakes head at security of MS

Matt
--
|Matthew Macdonald-Wallace                  |