[Sussex] ECDL (a rant about an exam I don't plan on taking...)

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Wed Dec 17 17:11:26 UTC 2003

All,

My dad is currently studying for the ECDL (MS Word) and it has questions
along the lines of:

1. Create a word document in which to store names and addresses for a
mail merge
2. draw a graphic using the tools on the "draw" toolbar
3. Create a slide for a presentation with the following headings...

I have been wondering for ages why people use Word for everything, and
now I know it is because they are taught to do so whilst taking an exam.

Surely it's not too much to ask that they are taught to use a word
processor for word processing, a spreadsheet for numerical data
evaluation, a database for applications such as contacts and products
and a presentation package for presentations?

I realise that the ECDL is recognised and valued by employers, but it's
teaching people to use a screwdriver to put in a nail.  It only works if
you turn it upside down and use brute force...

My £0.02,

Matt
--
|Matthew Macdonald-Wallace                  |