[Sussex] Installing Gentoo - more questions

john big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Dec 19 18:51:13 UTC 2003

On Friday 19 December 2003 9:27 am, David Chapman wrote:

> I think this is the refresh rate of your monitor that needs to be changed.
> Here's mine.
>

> Section "Monitor"
>
>     Identifier  "201b"
>
> # HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
> # HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
> # comma separated list of ranges of values.
> # NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
> # USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.
>
>     HorizSync   30-94
>
> #    HorizSync	30-64         # multisync
> #    HorizSync	31.5, 35.2    # multiple fixed sync frequencies
> #    HorizSync	15-25, 30-50  # multiple ranges of sync frequencies
>
> # VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
> # VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
> # comma separated list of ranges of values.
> # NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
> # USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.
>
>     VertRefresh 50-160
>
> EndSection
>
> DO NOT use this.
> Have a look at your Mandrake XF86Config to get the correct HorizSync &
> VertRefresh rates

Thanks Dave,

I've got those, the only minor difference was that I found the "H" & "V" sync
rates at the philips site and they show the vertrefresh as being 48 - 160,
I'll change it to round it up to the 50 and see if that makes any difference.

For info, the ModeLine that seems to get generated everytime I try to do a
modification, is confusing the hell out of me, I've had to comment out 3 of
the 4 that are there at the moment, but when I have a look in mandrake to see
what that's got things set as, I find that there's XF86Config and another
called XF86Config-4, and to be honest, I don't know how to work out which is
the file that is being used, but the "Config" has about 50 or so modelines
and the "Config-4" has 4, so I'm still in the dark as to how to correct this.

regards

John D.