[Sussex] Installing Gentoo - more questions

john big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Dec 20 01:37:35 UTC 2003

On Saturday 20 December 2003 12:22 am, John D. wrote:
> On Friday 19 Dec 2003 7:30 pm, Iain Stevenson wrote:
> > X windows 4 uses XF86Config-4.  If you have X windows 4 try renaming the
> > other file just to be sure it's not used.  You may be able to use
> > xvidtune to tune the nonitor
> >
> >   Iain
>
> Thanks Iain,
>
> I'll look up both xvidtune and try to work out which version of X I am
> using, then with any luck i'll be able to sort the monitor under gentoo.
>
> regards

Well, it seems that I'm buggered.

If I look in my /etc/X11,

there's file:/etc/X11/XF86Config file:/etc/X11/XF86Config.kxconfig.backup and
file:/etc/X11/XF86Config.working

and I have absolutely no idea how to check which is the one that is being
used.

I suspect that the .kxconfig.backup isn't the one (just a hunch, being a
backup file).

I can also see xvidtune in the file:/etc/X11/app-defaults but what to do with
it, and how to use it remain a mystery. I've read a man page, but what would
be the correct/incorrect way to use it, is another mystery.

Does anyone know of any good links or idiot guides that might explain please ?

regards

John D.