[Sussex] Saturday Rant

Nik Butler nik at wired4life.org
Sat Feb 1 11:16:02 UTC 2003

Morning Fellow Penguins

Well its a Saturday morning and as usual Im caught browsing Slashdot
(http://slashdot.org) and watching Samuri Jack (
http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/samuraijack/ ) on CNX. I felt that maybe
it would be an appropriatte time for me to chip in with my usual end of
week spuriously inane reference to some peice of TV histrionics. I also
felt that Id take the opportunity to give a tip of the Hat to the
enlightened ocassaionl works of Mr Brocard and recap the week. So
consider this the one and only SussexBack, the weeks report.

Dominc appears to have kicked off the week, with a new job and a few
quesitons about mem usage , a cunning art in linux which lets face it
mist of us realise is important yet few actually make the effort to
really understand. Looking at my system now I could not really say how
much actualy physical memory really exists.

Damien Sandra dropped in with a invite to FOSDEM, http://www.fosdem.org/
, and I wondered how many people from this group will be making the
pilgrimage. And if so how many others would be putting in the futy free
orders ?

Nik Butler announced that he was royally shitcanned from the classically
managed (c)Actus-IT his punishment for having opinions and making issue
of it. Still resurrection of Wired4Life is immininent and maybe an
update of his own Website ( careful digs from Goeff at this point
rebuffed with a Pointer to our own Venerable Site details !)

John Crowhurst braved Sussex Rail Transport to attend a Wireless Site
Survey at the Old Kings Head. Thanks went to the nay co-conspirators who
proffered their Base Stations and access points to enable a survey. The
result of which are awaiting publication.

Stuart Nixon was introduced to the fun complexities of Keyboard mapping
and the wierdness of Putty. Keyboard mapping to me has always seems a
harder than it needs to be. As if developers never gave much thought to
thier own and first tool of input to the system.

The Weather concerned a great number of people prior to the Monthly
Meeting and much use was made of list to provide Worried of Bracknell (
you know who you are Mr Dobson ) with a upto date and timely weather
report. The seriousness of which was still not enough to stop Mr Teale
from forgetting he Scarf by the end of the Evening.

The group tried out its newest venue, The Old Kings Head, and whilst it
was decidededly chilly in the corners it was agreed that the Eye Candy
and food suppliments would suffice.

As Usual for a Venue which restricted the practice of technical
demonstrations and configurations Mr Teale came out of himself and began
expounding the virtues of Programming Languages, Technical
Specifications and PUS!

Finally Neil Ford was wondering how many people are Slashdotting any
more and if anyone really visits it. Well it is the Authors opinion that
Slashdot is like WHSmiths, you dont visit it for the content your really
only their to browse.

Ommisions, Exceptions and Zoe Ball aside that makes for quite a potted
history of this Groups activit. If I missed anything out blame the
Archives I can t seem to get them to show me the dates of each poting
unless I view them .... and thats TEDIOUS!

Anyway for the record theres quite a Large party down in LittleHellTown
which most (c)Actus slaves^H^H^H^H^H^ Employees are attending so I will
see you all there !

--
nik at wired4life.org	http://www.wired4life.org/	Wired4Life, an Answer.

apt-get install julia sawhalla