[Sussex] FreeDesktop.org

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Fri Feb 7 12:10:00 UTC 2003

Chaps,

Interesting article on ZD-Net.  Nothing new here but it talks about the
freedesktop.org standards in the context of Gnome 2.2.  With Gnome and KDE
both moving towards this common standard we are not very far away from
having proper LINUX standard for GUI environments.  The article is at:

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-983648.html

UNIX has some very strong standards  (POSIX, Single UNIX, etc etc) for
systems programming that mean that most non-gui tools work on all UNIX
platofrms.  X11 is also heavily standardised - this final push on the
standardisation of processes involved in the operation of GUI environments
and applications is (for me at least) the most important step that needs to
be made in terms of getting a desktop that is as user-friendly as either Mac
OS or Windows.

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to
make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to
life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral."
   - Richard M Stallman

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company