[Sussex] Linux for simplicity

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Sat Feb 8 19:40:01 UTC 2003

Adam,

Yes, it can work.

However, to run any business, you need to understand the customer need, and find something to fill it at a price which 1) the customer will pay, 2) will make a profit for you. You need to understand things from your customers' perspective, which involves thinking through exactly what it is you have to offer in terms that the customer can relate to.

"A simple to use, stable system that does what they want - no more, no less at a minimal cost (ie free)".

My problem with this is that it isn't free. At least, not free in a way that the customer will understand. The customer does not CARE how much a Windows licence costs. The customer CARES how much the whole package will cost, including hardware, software, and installation.

If I were you, I would cost up some machines, and work out how much you would need to charge the customer to give them the system you describe. Then compare that price to what the customer would pay from, say, Dell.

If you can show the customer a good saving, and make enough profit to make it worth your while then you have a market.

If you can't show the customer a good saving, then you don't. The split of the costs between hardware / software / labour is irrelevant.

Regards,

Mark