[Sussex] NOW: So, who are the all-time greats? WAS Hello all

Jon Fautley jon at geekpeople.net
Tue Feb 11 23:15:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 21:56, Mark Harrison wrote:
> Much as it's always fun to spar with Nik, I was wondering who the "all-time
> greats" actually are. I would suggest, for you, the following.

Sparring with Nik is fun... as I can actually wallop him if he wins an
argument against me.. i'm bigger than he is ;)

> Given that I'm "a bit older" than many on the list, it would be interesting
> to see how many names the younger SLUGgers (SLUGgettes?) recognise my list.
> And to see what alternative names are generated.

SLUGettes?
"Are there any women here today?" (Guess the film ;) )
IIRC, the only woman i've actually spoken to that uses *nix (iirc) is
Natalie Ford..

If there are any women here who find geekyness attractive... mail me off
list ;)

And this is where i look like a fool...

> My top bunch, in roughly chronological order are as follows.

- Alan Turing - Broke Enigma
- Joseph Van Neumman - Sounds like an 80's electronic music star
- Dennis Ritchie - Hmm... rings a bell. Sommat related to Apple?
- Ken Thompson - Mayor of London? or is that Livingston....
- Don Knuth - Pass...
- Tony Hoare - There was someone that worked at Gatwick called that...
- Edsger Dijkstra - Bless you...
- Mitch Kapor - Wasn't he on Baywatch?
- John Perry Barlow - Someone in Corination Street.
- Richard Stallman - GNU bloke
- Linus Torvalds - Invented that linux thing...
- Larry Lessig - grr.. know the name... what he did escapes me atm though :/

Oh well.. a pretty poor display from me :(

Anyone younger care to do better WITHOUT the aid of google/reference
material?

Jon