[Sussex] Perl ( Life is Ironic )

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Thu Feb 13 12:05:01 UTC 2003

> Here's a little piece of irony for you (in consideration of some posts
> earlier this week).
>
> I am currently holding some discussions (to early to give details), but
> it is looking that quite likely that as a result of these discussions
> Perl (as a companion to C) may become part of my daily existence.  I
> wonder if my views on it as a language would change as a result of
> continued exposure (it certainly hasn't worked that way with VB :) )?

VB has always puzzled me, especially when someone calls themselves a
programmer. Break it down and you get Visual Beginner All purpose Symbolic
Instruction Code, or you could say Visual Beginner programmer :P

Perl has a great module called inline, where you can write C code into
perl, or what seems to be a myriad of other programming languages into it.

> Anyhow, can anyone recommend a good Perl book or website from which a
> clueful developer could get a good idea of Perls more advanced
> functionality?  I'm not looking for "Teach yourself Perl in 24 hours"
> here... I already have an old copy of the Camel book kicking around, is
> it worth looking at a newer edition (I'm guessing not)?

You could try the O'Reilly programming set:
Advanced Perl Programming
Perl Cookbook
Perl in a nutshell
Perl for Systems Administration

I tend to prefer the O'Reilly books to anything else.

--
John