[Sussex] Run on net start

Andrew Guard agua at coinford.co.uk
Fri Feb 14 13:52:02 UTC 2003

http://www.btopenworld.com/helpbb/faq/0,2933,,00.html#770289

Slow Throughput Rates
 BT Wholesale, our network provider, recommend that 'optimum network
settings' on the customer's computer could maximise the ADSL line
performance.

Disclaimer: Please note that making modifications to the system registry is
performed at your own risk. If you do not understand the implications, or
how to recover from registry changes, you should not attempt to proceed.

Computer configurations can be a mixture of Windows (9x/2000/Me/NT/XP),
MacOS or one of a number of UNIX variants. Each of these platform types and
versions have tuneable network system parameters which can increase or
decrease the perceived response time.
The MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit) is the default packet size (amount of data)
that a system uses to send and receive information over a network.
BT Wholesale believes that of the many network related system parameters,
changing the MTU can, in some circumstances, improve response times.
BT Wholesale believes that the optimum MTU setting is 1458 as this is best
suited to the performance of the broadband network.
It is advisable for customers to record their current settings in the event
that they wish to change it back at a later date.

Below you can find the MTU adjustment tool created by BT Wholesale for
Windows users and a recommended site for Mac users:

WINDOWS
http://www.broadband1.bt.com/across_the_country/news_item16.asp?t=2

MAC OS
http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/allthingsmac/all#3743