[Sussex] GPRS (and bluetooth)

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at krasnegar.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 18 20:16:00 UTC 2003

Tom

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 05:17:32PM +0000, Tom Ellis wrote:
> My laptop has a bluetooth usb dongle built in, i've not really played
> with it as i have no bluetooth devices...
> I can bring it along to the next meet for a play if you like?

In my eyes that is part of what the club is about; playing with kit
not just talking about it.  I'm quite happy to sit in a pub with my
laptop out trying to get BlueTooth to work.

Even if we don't have WiFi access to the Internet we can always set
up an adhoc network and just e-mail/web-cam broadcast/whatever amount
outselves.  And if there is a BlueTooth phone about then one of the
machines in the adhoc network can masquerade for us - any it could be
anyone's phone.

While I was flying back from France clast week (Charter) I found 3
BlueTooth devices when I did a quick scan in the departure area.
That was a big room and I was only scanning a 314 meter square area;
I wonder how many phones there were out there.  From the IDs that
came back they were stright out of the box.