[Sussex] RE: The 'D' programming language

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Sat Feb 22 17:16:02 UTC 2003

Geoff,

AIUI, it IS possible to run .NET _today_ without any Microsoft product. Are
you saying that this is not the case?

Off the record, Microsoft's .NET strategy team are saying that Linux support
is going to be critical for the adoption of the framework.

Yes, Microsoft have applied for patents, as have Sun and IBM, or for that
matter MIT, the Imperial Cancer Research Fund, or the University of Sussex.

Now, if you want to get into a debate about the (stupid, self-defeating, and
anti-competitive, in my view) US Patent system, then that's fine :-)

However, for the record, I don't consider myself a .NET advocate. All I'm
trying to do is clarify factual misunderstandings about it being tied to the
Windows platform.

I would hope that all of us support the flow of correct information rather
than incorrect information, and would not stoop to deliberately
misrepresenting even Microsoft.

Regards,

Mark