[Sussex] Dell Precision 650

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Mon Feb 24 11:58:01 UTC 2003

Geoff

On 24 February 2003 at 11:49 Geoff Teale wrote:
> I'm going to buy a Dell Precision 650 Workstation.  It was a
> long protracted buying decission, this is where I ended up, no
> Microsoft Tax if you hunt hard enough on Dell's website!.

Christmas has come early for some one :-)

> The machine has a built in gigabit ethernet card, but few
> details are given about it - it definitely works with LINUX
> (the machine ships with Red Hat 8.0), but I'm a bit of a
> numbskull and don't know if this will play fair on my measly
> 10Mbit network.
>
> I'm assuming this device is going to be 10/100/1000
> autoswitching... is that naive of me?

I'm no expert.

I'm also in two minds here.

1). Gigabit is different part of the Linux kernel - so no (or
    at least when in down grades it will use far to much CPU for
    the amount of data that it handles).

2). Dell wouldn't put something in that couldn't run with what is
    generally out there.

I feel someone ort to spend some time on Google.