[Sussex] Network problem

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Tue Feb 25 10:14:01 UTC 2003

All

Much has been said already - and all the points are good.  I just
wanted to add my 2p to the kitty.

Q3 last year I went out and bought a wireless hub.  Nik (as I remember)
had warned me about hubs that needed software installed on a Windows
box to configure them.  As I don't run Windows on my network at home
I wanted to avoid such systems.  Nik had said that the Mac AirPort
(I think that was the name) at £250 would work just fine.

I looked about and ended up buying a Belkin.  I included a 3 port switch,
an uplink, was web configurable and the same price as the NetGear which
had (as has been pointed out) lots of references to Window for
configuration.
My choice was clear.  If I wanted something that had a chance of working
Belkin looked better that NetGear [The PCMCIA card for my laptop was
NetGear as I knew that was supported].

Maybe there hardware isn't as capable but I didn't have to compromise
my ideals to use one.  How's it working?  As fare as I know fine.  I later
was pointed at the MeshAP (which was the same price as the AirPort); but
this box ran Linux (well Slackware anyway) - so my ideals felt even better
and my money when to someone supporting Linux.  As for the Belkin base
station - I gave it as a Christmas present to my Brother-in-Law; that way
when I visit my sister I now have wireless access :-)

As for the MeshAP - well I've added a disk [it comes with a flash boot
device which was not running a Flash File System so was being lifed to
quickly].  It now runs [use] Debian and works just fine.  The serial
line is connected to my (slow) modem so it's also my firewall.  I'm
happy.