[Sussex] Dell Precision 650

Geoff Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Tue Feb 25 21:20:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 20:22, Steve Williams wrote:
> Geoff,
>
> I've noticed that Dell have gone a bit cold on Linux. They used to splurge
> Red Hat logos all over their catalogues, but not now. In any case I wanted
> SuSE on my M50 so I set it up myself.  60Gb hard disk was more than enough
> for Windows XP Pro and SuSE 8.1 Pro.

Ah well... I'll run Gentoo rather than Red Hat (though I'll probably
leave Red Hat on for a couple of days while I have a play).  The main
thing for me was that I wasn't paying for an XP license I didn't want,
it also means that I have a machine that is Red Hat certified to work
with Linux.  I get support from both Dell and Red Hat in the deal.

I think Dell think Linux is something only corporate customers are
interested in - it would be nice if they made Linux available on
something other than just Workstations and Servers.  That time will come
however, and when it does Dell are well placed to support it.

> Anyway a dual Xeon box is a nice bit of kit whoever creates it. Lots of RAM,
> SCSI RAID as well perhaps?

Opted for a 120GB IDE drive with Databurst rather than SCSI - I only
have _so_ much money to spend and it wasn't a requirement for me..

1GB RAM.

> Nice. Bringing it along Thursday?

:)

No, quite appart from the sheer bulk of the beast, it won't be with me
for a couple of weeks at least.  The machine is built in the USA (as
opposed to Eire) and is considered to be of "weapons grade" so they
won't even ship this until I have got clearance in addition to the
normal declarations about not using in conjunction with weapons of mass
destruction.

--
Geoff Teale <tealeg at member.fsf.org>
Free Software Foundation