[Sussex] My adsl modem/router

John Davis big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Feb 28 00:31:02 UTC 2003

On Thursday 27 Feb 2003 1:59 pm, Robin Shepheard wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 13:46, john wrote:
> > Whilst the Shields up test, says it can't get in, the "probe my ports"
> > test tells me that ports 21,23 and 80 are open. This is presumably
> > because that is the default for the modem/router.
>
> This means that it has the web, ftp and telnet ports open. I would not
> be worried unless you can change the config of the router via telnet and
> from any IP address and you have not changed the default passwords.
>
> SAR110 supports  "NAPT rule: The default rule that is used in a basic
> single
>
> > IP setup. This blocks unsolicited incoming data, but allows replies to
> > data you requested to return".
>
> I use smoothwall, which has the same feature, very useful as we have 5
> people sharing my adsl connection and they all play different online
> games. An absolute nightmare if I had to open each port individually.
>
> > Or does anyone know the how/why of whether I can stop both my mandrake
> > install and wind0w$ XP from broadcasting my external IP - that is
> > presuming that to do so would mean that when I'm not using my connection,
> > it is "stealthed"?
>
> I cant say I know of anyway to do anything about it
>
> Cheers
>
> Robin

So it SHOULD be ok leaving the connection always on - yes I appreciate that
although we have some exceptionally "smart cookies" on the list/in the LUG
there is always someone who has the ability/time/intelligence/potential to
try and hack in.

I should also find out from solwise if the config of the router can be changed
by telnet then. If it can be done, then presumably I need to select a mega
complicated password and not just something alpha-numeric and work out how to
add an ip filter rule.. And if it can't be re-config'd via telnet then just
the password?

regards

John D.