[Sussex] Charity Threads.

Derek Harding derek at lagham.uklinux.net
Fri Jan 3 12:19:01 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I do quite a bit for a couple of locally (east Surrey) based charities who go out to the old soviet-block (Macedonia, Bosnia, Kosova, Romania etc.) working with children, widows and orphans, and so on. One of the things I am trying to do (as I write this!) is build a series of work-units consisting of 8-12 ltsp terminals with one server per unit. These are good configurations for teaching or for office work.

Problem is, I have over 40 boxes suitable for use as terminals but no motherboards suitable for servers - they need to be pretty fast with > 512MBytes RAM. Also I have no network cards beyond two or three 10M ATA offerings nor do I have any hubs!

So the end result is that I'm having to put small footprint OSs onto the harddrives so that they can run standalone for one charity. The other charity at present can't take anything second-hand into Romania so I am holding enough to make them two units when they get import licenses again.

Now - can any of you help me out with suitable motherboards/RAM, network cards or w.h.y.?

--
Best wishes,
Derek