[Sussex] An odd question....

Gareth ABLETT garethablett at phpw.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Jan 6 11:02:00 UTC 2003

Geoff Wrote:
-------------

One thing is i'm hoping that more goverment organisations swap to linux or
unbix for there servers
for php to come a wanted task a little more not sure if and when that might
happend but fingers
crossed.

On the other hand the only programming language i know enough of to get
employed is Delphi
and I havent used that for a while. Although i'm doing some work in it now
trying to rember stuff.

Gareth Ablett

> [...]
> >deegree i dont know but its not easy getting work these days as there is
> >way more ppl wanting the jobs then before.
>
> Gareth,
>
> A couple of things:
>
> 1\
> Yes your location is a big part of your problem.
>
> 2\
> Web developers jobs in particular are a _bad_ part of the market to be in
> right now.  Web development is an area where a very large number of people
> were employed a few years ago - the majority of which are now unemployed,
> and looking for work.
>
> How did this come about?
>
> Easy.  In the .com boom web developers were employed left right and
center,
> they drew from a number of fields: graphic designers, programmers and
people
> with no experience at all.  The perception was this, HTML is very simple,
> web programming is simple.  What has happened over the last ten years
> however is that the content on the web has become far more complex, far
more
> interactive.  The programming skills have become more and more important
as
> we look to increasingly complex back end processing, client side scripting
> and the rise of the scemantic web (think XML - SVG, XForms, RDF, XSLT).
> This increase with complexity combined with the bursting of the .com
bubble
> has left us with with a small market for skilled programmers and skilled
> designers and a very large number of "web developers" competeing for these
> jobs.  Ultimately I imagine around 75% of people employed as "web
> developers" in the late 1990's will never work in IT again (without
> significant investment in training).  For the few jobs left you're need to
> be either a qualified/experienced graphic designer or an
> experienced/qualified programmer.  My advice, if you know how to code go
> looking for programming jobs and market yourself as a programmer, the web
is
> so ubiquitous now that those skills are just another part of a programmers
> job, "web developers" per se are a dying breed.
>
> I predict this trend will spread to the MCSE, Microsoft Certified Solution
> Providor market as well (though not to the same extent), how long will the
> small percentage of cowboys survive in a more technically rigorous market
> where there is _real_ competition?
>

> --
> geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
> tealeg at member.fsf.org
>       _________________________________
>      / _______________  ______  ______/\
>     / /\_____________/ /\____/ /\_____\/
>    / / / __   __    / / /   / / /
>   / / / / /\ / /\  / / /   / / /
>  / /_/_/ / // /_/_/ / /   / / /
> /_______/ //_______/ /   /_/ /
> \_______\/ \_______\/    \_\/
>

> The above information is confidential to the addressee and may be
privileged.  Unauthorised access and use is prohibited.

> Internet communications are not secure and therefore this Company does not
accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.

distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it,
is prohibited and may be unlawful.

> Claybrook Computing Limited is a subsidiary of Claybrook Computing
(Holdings) Limited
> Registered Office: Abbey House. 282 Farnborough Road, Farnborough,
Hampshire GU14 7NJ