[Sussex] SSL

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Wed Jan 8 15:28:29 UTC 2003

> Dominic,
>
> I did this a while back on Redhat 6.2 and Apache.  It involved
> downloading the source for Apache and OpenSSL and compiling them both.
> If your lucky there might be an rpm out there with SSL support already,
> but I couldn't find one at the time.

The problem I've found with RedHat RPMs is that the official ones are way
out of date. Freshmeat have some compile kits for Apache which include SSL
and other well used protocols.

> You do not have to purchase a certificate, you can create your own, but
> then you are authenticating yourself which is fine for testing or
> internal only access.

As long as you aren't planning to run your site for credit card
transactions or anything people will get upset about your site not having
an officially signed certificate, you can get away with signing it
yourself.

> There is some fairly good documentation in a book that I have at work.
> "Linux Apache Web Server Administration" by Charle Aulds.  See here
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782141374/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/026-7439741-5084463
> for more info.  I have a copy at work which I'll happily lend you, but
> I'm off till next week so I can't get it before then.

You may find one of the HOWTO's useful on this subject also -
http://www.tldp.org/ (Apache-Compile-HOWTO is probably the most useful)

--
John