[Sussex] Really Dumb dd question

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Thu Jan 9 13:44:01 UTC 2003

Steve wrote:
------------
> Given that the disk has failed and this is a commercial
> operations you're
> going to replace the disk anyway (disks are cheep!!!) so
> you'll have to
> get some down time anyway.

Hmm, well, according to the very prety borchure than popped through my door
yesterday morning, what you actually want is a SAN, with complete mirroring,
failover, loadbalancing and robotic back-up - according to SUN there is _no_
cheaper way of ensuring rapid recovery and low failure rate.

Of course this kind of strategy that your average Microsoft / Dell acredited
service and hardware provider would adopt - "Intranet server sir? Well of
course you'll need a new Dell blade system with at least 12 Xeons, a few
Gigs of RAM and IIS 5 with all the extras.."

Personally I like Nik's approach.. .lets solve it in the shell :) - this is
the way of the UNIXophile.

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company