[Sussex] LINUX on Mini-ITX / Via?

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Fri Jan 10 08:49:01 UTC 2003

Neil "smudgey pixels" Ford wrote:
---------------------------------
> I have to say I like the look of the Linitx box with 3 NICs and IPCop
> on Compact Flash as a nice neat firewall solution. No moving parts
> except the fans.

Yup.. fom parts its perfectly possible to build these things without the
fans.  I like the idea of diskless nodes booting from Compact Flash.  Netbox
advocate this for office desktops - they recommend using LINUX the old
fashioned way (One _fat_ sever and a bunch of cheap, diskless nodes running
XServer as clients) - they try and sell this idea on their website
http://www.netbox.co.uk/netbox/html/networking.htm .  I think it's something
people should push more - why go for an expensive full PC on every desk
option when you can play to UNIX/LINUX's strengths instead?

They certainly would make a stylish alternative to something like Suns
SunRay1, 100 & 150 thin clients - the only problem being that Netboxen are
rather pricey (though they are stylish and well built).  That said the price
of the sun thin client boxes seems to have risen recently (Steve?).

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company