[Sussex] LINUX takes on Xserve

Iain Stevenson iain at iainstevenson.com
Fri Jan 10 09:51:02 UTC 2003

--On Friday, January 10, 2003 9:05 am +0000 Neil Ford
<neil at smudgypixels.net> wrote:

> Due to Apple's insistence of sticking so much in the Netinfo database,
> close configuration of a Mac OS X box is not as easy as on other
> comparable operating systems. In conjunction with Apple's relative
> tardiness in getting updated versions of things like OpenSSH make it a
> less than suitable platform for a secure application. Too much on the box
> is still proprietary for it to compete against a truly open source system.

It has lagged with SSH .. but not that far behind.  How many Linux systems
really run the latest version?

> The Xserve's strengths are it's familiarity for existing Mac shops and
> integration with Mac OS clients.

Debatable - OS X isn't like the old OS9 since it abandons treasured parts
of the MacOS like the need not to use file extensions and introduces that
damned dock (yes, I'm a 21 year Apple veteran with OS9 and a great
unwillingness to pay Apple prices for a poorer user experience).  Anyone
adopting OS X has to accommodate many changes as discussions on the
Yellowdog Linux mailing lists frequently point out.

Netatalk supports AppleShare volumes on Linux so unless the user wants the
simpler configuration of OS X and/or Apple's web tools they may as well get
their Unix-like experience with Linux.

  Iain