[Sussex] LINUX takes on Xserve

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Fri Jan 10 11:07:00 UTC 2003

Hi Neil

On 10 January 2003 at 10:59 Neil Ford wrote:
> > It has lagged with SSH .. but not that far behind.  How many Linux
> > systems really run the latest version?
>
> If it's the main purpose of the server (which was the original poster's
> point), then I would have said that keeping the machine patched is very
> important. Yes, the vast majority of Linux systems probably aren't up
> to date, but then hopefully most of them aren't sitting as front line
> security boxes.

A very, very good point, and please keep this in mind.

<snip>
> OS X is indeed different. Whether or not the user experience is poorer
> is very much a personal thing. I like having a far more stable platform
> with proper memory management and the flexibility having unix at it's
> core provides.

But the main point of this system (as you reminded us) is as a SSH access
point to the outside world.  It needs to SSH patched to the hilt, which I
though was the main point here.

Behind the firewall, there are many other factors that come into play.  If
your running a lot of Macs then a Mac server make a lot of sense for
the normal reasons of easy of configure and support from Apple.