[Sussex] LINUX on Mini-ITX / Via?

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Fri Jan 10 13:49:01 UTC 2003

Steve wrote:
------------
> You're forgiven; I'll knew you wouldn't mind a little gentle
> ribbing :-)

Hmmm..

How can I put this delicately so as not to shock the young, impressionable,
innoccent folk on the list [looking at Jon, Tom and Adam]?

OK, where I come from (Romney Marsh) the term "ribbing" is used to describe
an act that might be undertaken whilst wearing a small rubber device that
might, as a matter of preference, be "ribbed for extra pleasure".

As to whether or not I wouldn't mind a gentle "ribbing", I feel that's a
rather sensitive matter and not appropriate for this list ;)

> But on Unix every thing is a file, it just than not every
> file lives on
> a file-system.  Other examples are: network connections.  Any
> before you
> say it: Yes, I know plan9 does it better.

That's want I meant..

Damn.. you're way ahead of me.. I wa building up to saying we should be
rolling out Plan9 in businesses.  It has everything they really need -
E-Mail, a text editor, a calculator, a couple of databases, a web server and
an application for calculating the weight of stars based on radio-telescope
images of them ;)  Plus there's Glenda!

> I know SysAdmins that have done this for large systems.  They
> have a master
> station on which they roll out any new config changes and then other
> machines
> rsync to the master.  The scripts and set-up details are even
> being made
> open source :-)

Cool.

> As I've said already, I know you could take a little gentle
> ribbing.

Leave it....

>But
> that's the problem with group of "intelligent" techies.
> Since school my
> motto has been: As one learns from one's mistakes I'm getting
> one hell of an
> education!

Oh yes indeed.  I'm off to try and convince the board to switch to Plan9..
somebody catch me as I come lying out of the boardroom ;)

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company