[Sussex] Definetly No Linux Thread here

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at krasnegar.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 12 12:44:02 UTC 2003

Geoff

I've split my response to your last posting into two.  The thread was
sort of moving that way - do forgive.

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 06:21:17PM +0000, The ol' tealeg wrote:
> Steve wrote:
> ------------
> > I'd stay away from doing any major work if I were you, unless you want
> > to find out how good your backups are.  :-)
>
> Backups.. weeee don' neeeed no steenkin backups  ;)

Snap - Backups are for people who don't know that next time around they'll
do a better job of configuring there system from what they've learnt
to date.

> > You must only have seen the last few years of it.  WDY, when it
> > started, had a much longer title.
>
> When I watched it as a young child it still had the very long title and
> the original theme music... by the time I was about 12 it had
> metamorphosed into WDY?  and frankly it was rubbish - keeping up with
> the times is something that destroys many a good program.

There are very few TV shows that have stopped before they lost it.
Porridge is one, M*A*S*H and B5 another, but not many.

> > Wasn't that because Mr. Starr and the rest of the band didn't sound
> > liverpudlian enough?
>
> As far as I know it was because the Beetles themselves had nothing
> to do with the film, they weren't required to approve it and George
> Harrison at least claimed he didn't know of it's existence until it was
> released in the cinema.
>
> The sound-track was put together by George Martin from existing
> songs(like"Nowhere man" and"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", tracks that
> didn't make other albums(like"All together now") and his own
> instrumental compositions.  The voices were all done by actors.

I can't accept that the Beatles had noting to do with the film, very little
yes, but not nothing.  I do see it as a cashing-in exercise; they were
busy with other things to make another film.  But they must have known
something about the film before it was released:

  1). Didn't the Beatles retain ownership of the copyright to their
      songs until after they broke up?  If so how could the film makers
      used Beatles material?

  2). At the end of the film there is a little live action staring only
      four people - the Beatles, were one of them has half a hole in
      his pocket.