[Sussex] [OT] Source code at interviews...

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Mon Jan 13 11:26:00 UTC 2003

Dominic

On 13 January 2003 at 11:01 Geoff Teale wrote:
> Dominic wrote:
> --------------
> > I have got an job interview for a development job in a couple
> > of days and the company in question have requested I:
> >
> > 'bring with you any samples of your work that you consider
> > relevant and that you would like to review with us'
> >
> > Do you think I should bring source code?
>
> Well, for reassurance, if possible I'd knock up some dummy
> data as well, but I imagine they would be looking for some code
> for review.
>
> As I've said before, judging a programmer in an interview is
> hard - you might know all the facts but not be able to apply them -
> they'd probably like some hard evidence that you can code in a
> sensible manner - take some code showing database work, and any
> methods you're particularly proud of.

Agreed that judging anyone in an interview is a black art at best.
The sentence that I picked up from Dom's e-mails was "I have tried
asking the company, but they just said I should do what I feel
necessary."  This suggests to me that they put Dom under as much
pressure as possible as see what breaks.

> Take you laptop but provide hardcopy as well (well commented
> but _not_ a comment for every command), know in advance what
> you'd like to show them, they may ask for examples of specific
> types of code (database access code for instance).

Again I agree.  There is nothing like showing a working system.  If
I were you I printout a copy or two of one module - one which was
challenging
and in which you take pride in the solution you came up with.  Present
them with the code as an example of your work and then ignore it.
Let them make the first move in going though your code.

Your presentation should now concentration on how the module works
within the system.  The advantages you solution gave of the others
you looked into and why.  Show how that modules make life better for
the users.  In short - show that you are more than just a coding monkey,
that you understand customer and user issues as well.

Steve

P.S.
Best of luck