[Sussex] Putting the World to Rights

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Mon Jan 13 13:20:00 UTC 2003

Afternoon...

Steve, raised some important points.. I don't have time to agree or debate
them all, here's a very breif response:

1. No I did not take offence  - I was merely trying to indicate that it is
possible to have a healthy level of cynicism but still hold ideals and
strive for them with positive actions.  In the mid 1990's it seemed
impossible than anyone could seriously challenge Microsoft's dominance in
the IT market - but people like RMS and Linus still held their ideals (maybe
less so in Linus's case) and look where we are now.

2. Debate on any subject is wothwhile and the broader that debate the better
- but it is wrong to assume that the view point of the masses is the right
one, people en masse are too easy to manipulate.

3. If you think the house of lords hold no power then ask yourself why we
don't currently have an outright ban on fox hunting - sometime political
power is not that which is officially present.  The power to delay
legislation and send it back for more discussion can seriously weaken the
strength of legislation, moreover the Lords are one of the highest powers in
the court system - they have considerable power.

4. EU law depends on the UK pro-actively agreeing to parts of, however, in
certain areas control has been ceded totally or is controlled by
international politics - do we really think our government wants lots of
fishermen to loose their jobs in the UK.  I don't think so, but to put
British jobs above the conservation of north sea cod would yeild serious
political repercussions in Europe - the question of whether it is "right" or
"better" to lean one way or the other depends on whether you're a fisherman
or a cod (or and environmentalist).

5. THe age of the USA leading the world in terms of defining popular tastes
is coming to and end, a lot of people feel that China is the future - their
emerging market is so large (even without great wealth) their tastes may
come to dominate international markets.

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org
      _________________________________

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company