[Sussex] Expressions of character

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Fri Jan 17 11:08:01 UTC 2003

Chaps,

I wouldn't normally post this to the list, but there is Debian content and I
thought the marketing department of the debian project (whom we know to be
present on this list :) ) might find it amusing.
-------------------------

Studies have shown that whilst computers are forced upon us in the
workplace, they are increasingly become a central part of our leisure time
to - in this field, sociologists claim that a persons choice of computing
platform in the home environment speaks deeply of the message we want to
convey to those around us about our characters.  Presented here are a few
examples of varying machines and platforms and what ownership of such
devices say about you:

Palm Pilot (or any other Palm model)
"I am serious and organised"

Windows CE / Pocket PC based PDA
"I am concious of my image.  I am obsessed with possesion and wealth.  I buy
furniture in Habitat.  I will not enter any shop whose bags don't have
string handles.  I look down upon you"

Playstation / Playstation 2
"I'm a popular person who enjoys social contact. I am work hard, play hard
kind of guy"

X-Box
"I take fun seriously, possible a little too seriously.  If I emulate you
will you accept me as a friend?"

Nintendo Gamecube / Gameboy / GBA
"I am fun loving and do not take myself too seriously" (this varies from
ironic, through affected to genuine).

386PC Running window 3.1 or DOS
"When I was young I was foolish, since I was burned so badly I have since
given up on all inprudence.  I read the Daily Express.  You could learn a
lot from me.  I want your respect."

Pentium PC running Windows 95
"I have never overcome my need for a maternal figure in my life.  I will do
as I am told if you will hold my hand"

Apple iMac running Apple OS9, Apple iBook running OS9
"I am an artist, I am stylish and different from others" (this is usually an
affectation)

Apple iMac running Apple OSX, Apple iBook running OSX
"I am confident, style is important to me, but I cannot tolerate failure".

Apple PowerMac G4 (any OS)
"I am a confident media or publishing professional, I belong in a fast and
cool society.  My life is more interesting than yours" (This is in equal
measure accurate and affected).

Apple Powerbook especially titanium models (any OS)
"I am wealthy, style is my first consideration.  I want you to admire me."

Pentium PC running Red Hat Linux
"I am an independant thinker, I make decisions only after a period of solid
reasoning."

Any machine running Debian GNU/LINUX
"I am not driven by fashion or peer pressure.  I am an idealist and a
freedom fighter".

Low end Sun Workstation running Solaris / SunOS
"I am wealthy, work hard and make decisions based on solid logic.  I would
like you to fear me"

Low end SGI Workstation
"I am an artist of the highest order.  I place great value in my tools."

High end Sun or SGI workstation
"I am a technical recluse I am only interested in communicating with people
who understand my priorities."

386PC running IBM OS2/Warp
"I am German"

Pentium II/III or Celeron PC running Windows 98,98SE or ME
"I am a member of the crowd.  Please do not pay special attention to me, I
will be good.  I only like pastel colours and music that is selling well in
the current chart."

Pentium based laptop with Windows 2000
"I am a ruthless bsuniess man.  I will do anything for money.  I will hop on
whatever bandwagon is heading for the gravy train this week." (this is often
the posturing of someone who hates their job but cannot ween themselves from
the money).

Apple Flower-Power iMacs running OS9
"I am in touch with my feminine side.  I am fun and caring"

Pentium IV PC or Laptop with Windows XP
"I am wealthy and I wish to express it, I am not overly bright, infact I may
need to be spoon fed.  I am drawn to bright colours and primitive rhythms.
I am an MCSE"

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"and the mighty multinationals
have monopolized the oxygen
so it's as easy as breathing
for us all to participate"
- Ani DiFranco "Your next bold move"

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company