[Sussex] VMWare

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Fri Jan 24 15:28:01 UTC 2003

Derek wrote:
------------
> I use VMWare a lot to demo multiple clients on a virtual
> network. As far as I understand, VMW will support 'doze
> _only_ not other OS. That's the only difference I think.
> Expensive ,perhaps, but very versatile and useful. Rather
> better, I find, than WINE or Win4Lin.

Thanks.  Good info, searched on Google and found an old review from Linux
Journal - it seems that VMWare express only supports Win95 and Win98 - this
will do for both my principle needs, but won't allow me the luxury of
running my two "pet" OS's (Plan9 and QNX) without rebooting.  I wonder if I
can justify £265 on VMWare Workstaion ?  The clincher is of course, that
VMWare Express is no longer supported and there is no guarantee that it will
work on a gcc3.2 machine with current versions of glibc.

So now I'm faced with a trade off, I can spend £265 quid on a very useful
tool, or that could be an extra £265 going into my new PC... hmmm *thinks*..
Decisions, Decisions..

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"The old investors scoff at this,
But the young ones hope they'll take a chance,
And they swear that it will make more dough,
Than Mickey Mouse in Northern France."
       - Dar Williams (Southern California wants to be Western New York).

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company