[Sussex] Home and End key

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Thu Jan 30 08:51:02 UTC 2003

On 29 January 2003 at 18:47 Stuart Nixon wrote:
> hello all,

Hi Stuart

> please could someone point me in the direction of some
> information on how to get the HOME and END keys to work
> via a remote terminal session via ssh into debian.

Normally is going out of Debian that has problems because
Debian have created a "xterm-debian" that other distros don't
understand.

> if i logon via the real console, home & end work correctly,
> but when i login remotely (via putty) they just print out a
> tilde ~ character.
>
> i guess this is to do with my termcap entry?

I guess so too, but I would say terminfo which is the replacement
for termcap and the system that Debian uses.

Before 'ssh'ing to the Debian machine do an "echo $TERM" and one
when you've remotely logged in.  Are they the same?  They should be.

If they are check you have an entry in the terminfo database:
  /usr/lib/terminfo/<first-letter-of-$TERM>/<$TERM>

If that doesn't work try looking at the stty settings ("stty -a"
will report them.