[Sussex] Rosalind Franklin

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Fri Jan 31 08:16:02 UTC 2003

Nik wrote:
----------
> Was responsible for crystographic upgrade of some Xray machine... but
> she was a forgotten contributor to the DNA saga...

Glad we got that one cleared up :)  For my part:

1868
Fredrich Miescher, a Swiss biologist, successfully isolated nuclein, a
compound that includes nucleic acid, from pus cells obtained from discarded
bandages. Meischer, however, was not investigating heredity. Instead, he was
trying to identify the chemicals in cells. Several generations of scientists
would pass before the connection would be made between the DNA found by
Miescher and the laws of heredity described by Mendel just three years
previously.

People who don't come to meets are going to wonder what the hell we're on
about - still I imagine most people think that of me anyway ;)

Cheers!
Skol!
Slante!
Zoe Ball!

--
Freedom is something we assume, then we wait for someone to take it away
from us.  The degree to which we resist is the degree to which we are free.

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company