[Sussex] 2003 and 2.6 Release Predictions

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Fri Jan 31 10:33:01 UTC 2003

OK,

Thought I'd stare into the crystal ball a little:

I hereby predict Kernel series 2.6 will be with us in the 2nd Quarter of
2003.  For the average home desktop machine it will bring:

 - Better reponse times for the UI (ie, will give GUI desktop users a better
_impression_ of speed).
 - Better Audio and Video performance delivered by reduced latency.
 - ALSA superceding OSS as the default sound architecture.

All of these will be deliverd by the real-time enhancements being merged
into the kernel - proper preemption for a start - anyone who thinks realtime
is just for embedded systems has never tried to write music on a windows
machine ;)

For developers we'll also get proper PThreads instead of the weirdo
kernelThread model..

For servers we'll see a kernel that scales much better to systems with more
than two processors.

Anyone else ?

On another point...

Nik wrote:
----------
> apt-get install julia sawalla

Come now, I can't let that stand.  I know you've been through a rough week
but there are such things as standards Mr. Butler.

Zoe Ball is one thing, but really. :)

--
Freedom is something we assume, then we wait for someone to take it away
from us.  The degree to which we resist is the degree to which we are free.

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company