[Sussex] Flatfile Database

Geoff Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Tue Jul 1 21:59:01 UTC 2003

Hmm,

You're not going to get a GUI but:

BerkleyDB (http://www.sleepycat.com)
- Scales beyond your wildest dreams,
- Is faster than any other DB in this market segment
- Is used in more critical applications than just about any other
non-relational database.
- Has commercial support if you need it.

However before you go further I have some very serious questions.

1. If you need something massively fast, scalable and without server
overhead you're not going to have a lot of admin, but you are going to
do a lot of programming. If this is the case, then why do you need a
GUI?

2. Why flatfile?
The simple truth is flatfile databases are a bad solution for most
business needs.  Unless you're about to implement something that will
have to do a number of very simple lookups very, very quickly across a
2-dimensional data set (say something like reverse DNS lookups) then
you're probably taking the wrong approach.  If you are saying flatfile
because you want something that's easy to use then frankly you are
better off sticking with one of the sledgehammers you mentioned, or
taking an inbetween route to something like SQLite
(http://www.sqlite.org)

--
GJT
tealeg at member.fsf.org