[Sussex] UC!

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Tue Jul 8 07:35:00 UTC 2003

All

On 07 July 2003 at 21:21 Gareth Ablett wrote:
> > Q: Dennis Ritchie and Kenneth Thompson were awarded the fields medal for
> > technology for their development, in 1969, of which timesharing computer
> > operating system?
>
> Unix

Nice to see it capitalised the way Ritchie prefers it.

> > Q: What programming language did Ritchie develop for use with that
operating
> > system?

Why not capital letter?  C is a proper noun.

> > Q: What is the name of the PC version of that operating system developed
in
> > 1991 by Linus Torvalds?
>
> Linux

What out here, this is dangerous.  The Open Group, the trademark holders of
"Unix",
don't like statements like "Linux is like Unix", in fact I seam to recall
that they
are taking Apple to court over Apple's use of the term "Unix".

It is much safer (the Open Group can't do anything about it) is to say the
"Unix is
like Linux".