[Sussex] Re: Kylix and now PHP!

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Fri Jun 6 09:55:01 UTC 2003

> These are some of the main reasons for my recent "train" of questions
about
> web development. i.e. (no pun intended) my ??? a month or two ago
about open
> source opposition to M$ f********. Well, I am now happy to have a go
at
> designing a web site with either quanta or bluefish, and while I sort
of,
> vaguely understand what PHP is about (after I asked the question
today, I
> found their site, but it seemed about as clear as mud!), and I now
understand
> that I will be producing "static" pages/site.

Any site like this will be hard at first to understand, and tbe I find
the
Microsoft sites even harder to understand if you want to find some info
about
a product etc.

> But, it might be nice, in the rather distant future, to produce a site
with a
> few "bells and whistles", and my rather miniscule knowledge suggests
that
> "java" is looking favourite to do that, but as with my PHP question, I
will
> have to find out, "what it can do for me, rather than what I can do
for it!".

Just for the record I have known people to know nothing about PHP and
within
in a week to be producing dynamic pages with ease.

> Anyway, after the "sweeping generalisation" bit, I recall/notice the
bit on
> the SLUG site where Gareth has credited PHP at the bottom. Well, after
> reading Marks' e-mail, it occured to me that the site is pretty
"static".

> So, which bits of it have been produced using PHP? (even though I now
> understand that I don't need to know anything about it, to accomplish
what I
> would like to do!)

The part of the site that is dynamic is that all the text you see on the
page
And all the menus etc. Are held in a database.

The site also has a login page allowing people with the correct login
details
To update content on the site.

To show you this to a point if you go to http://www.zoomer2k.co.uk/ my
personal
Site I am using almost exactly the same files to run the page all be it
there
is the template file that is static and different.
The main thing that differs between the 2 sites is the content held in
the
database.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.