[Sussex] sendmail prob

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Tue Jun 10 11:43:01 UTC 2003

Steve

> On 10 June 2003 at 09:53 Gareth Ablett wrote:
> > Anyway to my problem I have installed QPopper and have that working
> > I can send mail using SMTP from the server but any mail I send to
> > an address on the server it doesn't even get into the server its
> > bounced off.
>
> I'm not quite sure exactly what's happening here.  Are you saying that
> e-mail that is to be delivered to the box is getting bounced.  What do
> the logs say on the box and on the sender.

Sorry for being a little less then understanding but you understood
anyway.
I have look at the mail logs and they don't even have anything in that
connects to the mail coming in.

one thing I did get was a permission denied email from Mailer Daemon.

> Have you tried using "telnet <box> 25" to talk SMTP to sendmail and
see
> what it's reporting.

When I telneted to it I just connected in no problems.

> You may even try falling back to running sendmail with "-bt" which
runs
> sendmail in address test mode. This mode reads addresses and shows the
> steps in parsing; it is used for debugging configuration tables.

Already tried this aswell.

> Then there is the real solution: install exim!!!!!

I would but its not my server. Hay if I had the choice I would of
installed
Debian instead.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.